Today we are going to see 4 amazing applications to convert an Image into a Vector. Vector images offer several advantages over bitmap images, which you can read in more detail in our fantastic article ‘what is vector art'. If you have a bitmap image, you may want to convert it in to a vector format before using it so that you can leverage the benefits of Vector graphics with some of the software you'll find in our Adobe Illustrator Alternatives article! So let us discuss how we can convert an Image into a Vector here.
Vector Factory: Professional Hand-made Vector Conversions
The best way to ensure your image is properly converted into vector, is to do it professionally and manually. And Vector Factory offers you exactly that, in a super affordable and quick service! They provide hand-made vectorisation of logos, illustrations and other JPG images, and even photographs, all done by professional artists, in a very simple, streamlined process done entirely on their website.
Here's Why You Should Use Vector Factory:
- Free quotes for every image you want to convert
- Starting at $6 for simple, one color images. Between $7 and $19 for relatively simple designs, higher costs for more complex images
- Completely streamlined process: quote, payment, proof, edits and final file delivery, all done online
- Quick turnarounds: between 24-48 hs for proof delivery
- All work done manually by professional artists
- Files stored for 90 days, extended storing options available at higher cost
- Discounts for recurrent customers
See how Vector Factory works in this video below:
This is a very pro service with lots of benefits. All you've to do to get started is to sign up for free and create your account. There you will be able to upload images to get a quote on conversion. If you accept the quote, you can simply click on the image in your account and proceed with payment. Once payment is received the work process gets started and you will get a JPG screenshot proof of the work within 24 and 48 hours. The rest of the process' length will depend on whether you want to make changes, how many, and how complex they are. Once you approve the conversion, the artist will deliver the final vector file to your account.
A few things to keep in mind are that the level of complexity of the image to be converted will also result in quicker or longer turnaround times (remember it's all done manually). Also, this service stores your original and final files for 90 days, and you can request extended storage –including permanent– at a higher cost. You can also opt for having your final file delivered by usb drive or CD, at extra cost.
Vector Factory does bulk work (from 10 files and up), and they award you with badges according to the number of conversions you've purchased, giving you discounts and benefits according to the badge you have.
Vector Factory is a very easy to use, and super affordable service to convert an image to vector, resting assured it will be done quick, and it will be done right!
So if you're needing to vectorise images, wait no more and sign up for free at Vector Factory!
Easy and Fast Conversion for $5 or Less with Fiver
Are you looking to get your images converted into vector format cheaply and professionally? You should definitely check out Fiverr! They are offering a turnaround time of as little as 12 hours or less and for as little as $5, Fiverr can be just what your looking for when it comes to image to vector conversion, so what are you waiting for, get your images converted quickly and cheaply with Fiverr!
Here are some of the great features of Fiverr:
- Turnaround Time of 12 Hours or Less
- Rates for as Little as $5 per image conversion
- Pick from hundreds of professional Artist with Profiles and Ratings System
- Fast, Reliable and Professional Service
So as you can see, Fiverr is an awesome choice when it comes to getting your images converted into vector format! Check them out here and convert your image to a vector here now!
Popular File Formats for Images and Vectors
Before we begin lets outline the popular file formats for Images and Vectors, so that we understand where we are in the process and what results to expect.
Popular Image or Raster formats:
- JPG or JPEG with an extension of .jpeg or .jpg
- PNG files with an extension of .png
- GIF with an extension of .gif
- TIFF with an extension of .tiff
Popular Vector formats which are not application specific and can be accessed or opened within different applications.
- EPS files with an extension of .eps
- PDF with an extension of .pdf
- SVG with .svg
There are basically two ways to go about it, depending on whether you want to do this online, or prefer doing it on your desktop using an application that is already installed. So let’s dig into both these techniques today and use couple of online and offline application to get our job done.
Using online resources to convert an Image into a Vector.
Offering freelance services over a multitude of business topics, Fiverr offers a great Vectorisation service.
Autotrace offers free Image to Vector conversion.
- Click Choose File in the Upload a File section of the page
- Browse and select the Image
- Select Output Format (you may choose from SVG, EPS or PDF)
- Click on send file
- Find your result file at the top, below the main menu
- Right-click and choose Save link as…
- Save your Vector file
Though Autotrace does not offer advance editing features to refine your results. It does a good job for a free software.
Using offline applications, Illustrator and CorelDraw to convert an Image into a Vector
With following vector convert software, it's very easy to convert a image to vector. Check out the 3 most used vector convertion software now:
Using Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator is a powerful Vector Graphics Application for creating and editing vectors. Within Illustrator, you”ll find an absolutely useful tool which can convert raster to vector in a jiffy. Let's see how easy it is to use this vector convert.
Instructions – Convert to Vector
- Open the image in Illustrator by going to File Menu, choose Open, select the Image you want to convert and click Open. The image opens as a new file in Illustrator
- Select the Image by Clicking on it.
- Click on Live Trace. This is found in the Control Panel, below the Application Bar. Your image is now converted to Vector
- You may save it as an EPS file or an AI file so that it can be edited later if required.
(The default result is black and white vector which may be disappointing, but you may choose the quality of resulting vector)
Choose from Preset Select Menu, which is found on the left side in the Control Panel. If you want the result to be closer to the original Raster Image. Choose ‘Photo High Fidelity’. To further enhance your result you may click open the ‘Tracing Options Dialog’ by clicking on the small icon besides it.
Using CorelDRAW for Vector Convert
CorelDRAW an extremely popular Vector Graphics Tool can convert a Raster Image in to a Vector one in a matter of seconds.
Instructions – Convert Image to Vector with Corel Draw
- Import the Image in a New File by going to the File Menu, choose Import, select Image and click Import button.
- Now place the image on the page by clicking.
- In the Property bar click on Trace Bitmap and choose Quick Trace. The image has now been converted to Vector.
- You can now save your file in CDR format to be edited later. You may also export an EPS format from CorelDRAW by going to File Menu and choosing Export which open the Export Dialog. Choose EPS from the dropdown and hit the Export button.
Conclusion about, how to Convert an Image into a Vector
You can get different kinds of traced Vectors and can even further refine the quality of the resulting vector. Use the Power Trace option by selecting the other options available in the dropdown below Quick Trace.
Unlike other applications, the original Bitmap image has not been replaced with the new Vector one. You can move the newly traced image to reveal the Bitmap one behind it. You can now delete the Bitmap image by selecting and pressing delete on your keyboard.
And don't forget to check out our Alternatives to Adobe Illustrator article for some great vector editing tools!
I hope you find this information useful how to convert into vector. I would love to know if you did. You may subscribe to our newsletter so that we may keep you posted on some great stuff. Also let us know if you need to know more on any specific topic on vectors. We would love to help you out.
Images © Rido – Fotolia.com